Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Legacy of Idol Worship

Yesterday we took our boys to see the the Cleopatra exhibit at the Cincinnati Museum Center. The artifacts are amazing and provided us numerous great opportunities to discuss the truth of the Bible with our boys. Several of the artifacts were from the time of Christ or very near to it. We were able to see a gold coin with the head of Caesar Augustus, the Caesar that called for the census in Luke 2:1 which caused Joseph and Mary to travel to Bethlehem.

It was a great kick start for our study of Ancient History that we will be doing this year for school.

However, I was overwhelmed about halfway through the exhibit. Nearly every artifact was of a god or an instrument of worship of Egyptian gods. I have known of idol worship from scripture and history studies, but it smacked me square in the face.

Our preaching elder, Greg Birdwell, has been preaching through the book of Judges and the Idolatry of Man. It has been an amazing time of learning! Not until I saw this exhibit was I faced with the real, gut wrenching question. When I am long gone, what will be on exhibit for others to see? What will my exhibit show about who I worship? What will our generation's exibit show of our idol worship? I fear that the artifacts of my life may not point people to my worship of the One true God! The idols may change but the idol worship remains the same. Things, computer, cell phones, ipads, televisions, the latest kitchen gadget, cars, trucks, boats, even the houses that take more time to clean than we spend in the word or serving others can be idols that speak louder than our words. We can worship our careers, our self-sufficiency, our pride of life, and even our service.

I must begin today....I must not leave a legacy of idol worship! What is it that holds our attention more than God? What is it that you believe you could not live without? What do you treasure more than Christ? Let us take time to examine our lives and leave a legacy of worship of the One true God!

No comments:

Post a Comment