Friday, January 7, 2011

Honey Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Someone asked for my recipe for my homemade bread....the one that Agent E loves!

Well here it is....it is not entirely whole wheat flour as he much prefers bread that is a little softer in texture.
This recipe is designed for a bread maker but can easily be made without it, I will give directions for both. I hope you give it a try and enjoy! Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions.

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

1/3   C     Warm Water (between 90 and 110 degrees)
2/3   C     Warm Milk (between 90 and 110 degrees)
1      lrg    Egg
3      T     Butter
1     tsp    Salt
4      T     Honey
2      C     Bread flour
2      C     Whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp  Active dry yeast

Breadmaker Directions
If using a bread maker simply put all ingredients in the pan in order. Make a small well in the flour to put yeast in and set breadmaker to basic setting. Now make yourself a cup of coffee or tea and sit back and relax.

I kind of have a thing about the lovely little holes that the breadmakers paddle so I like to put my breadmaker on the "dough" setting and then shape in a loaf pan and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins at 350 degrees. Then I have pretty little loaves with no holes in the bottom, which makes me happy.

Hand/Mixer Directions - Stir with sturdy wodden spoon (then with hands) or use a stand mixer like a kitchen aid with a dough hook (the snakey looking thing).....your hand mixer will not be powerful enough to handle.....it will burn out the motor.
Mix water, milk and, 1 cup of flour (either kind), honey and yeast in a glass or plastic bowl. Stir together and let sit for 15 minutes. It will create a "sponge" which is a fancy word for a bubbley, foamy, yeasty mixture. (So I guess sponge is a little simpler to say!)This will let you know that your yeast is good and give it a head start on helping your bread rise.

To your sponge you will add egg, butter and salt. (I find it easier to melt the butter or at least soften it). Mix well slowly add remaining 3 cups of flour one at a time mixing well. Mix until your dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl and make a ball. If by hand, fold and knead for about 5 minutes and then shape in your bread pan. If using a stand mixer continue to knead with dough hook for about 3-5 minutes and shape dough and put in bread pan.

Set bread pans in warm location (I put them on top of my preheated oven covered by a light kitchen towel).
Allow to rise to double the size (or there abouts). Bake in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment